The Jewish Center for Justice calls upon the Senate and the House of Representative to support and pass the Bipartisan Gun Control Framework, currently being drafted.
The Jewish Center for Justice is mobilizing Jewish communities and gun violence prevention groups as well as people of faith in support of the Bipartisan Gun Violence Prevention Framework, led by Senators Chris Murphy (D-CT) and John Cornyn (R-TX). This proposal would be the most significant gun control legislation passed by Congress in nearly 30 years. If enacted, this framework would:
- Institute “enhanced background checks” for gun buyers under the age of 21.
- Close the “boyfriend loophole,” which has enabled significant others of domestic abuse victims to maintain their firearms. Current laws only permit firearms to be confiscated from domestic abusers if they have been married to, have lived with, or have a child with the victim.
- Encourage states to adopt red flag laws by providing funding to facilitate the implementation of these laws, which permit courts to take away guns from those considered a danger to themselves and others.
- Expand access to mental health care by allocating $7 billion towards school safety and community mental health clinics.
- Crack down on illegal gun purchases and gun trafficking.
This plan will save lives — and the numbers prove it. Had this framework been in place, at least 59 percent of the 2,275 school shootings recorded since 1970 would have likely been prevented, including Sandy Hook, Parkland, and Uvalde. This is a significant first step and paves the way for more extensive gun control measures in the future.
Take ACTION by contacting your Senators and Representative to urge them to support this important bipartisan framework.
- U.S. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
- Find your Senator or Representative!
If s/he is already supporting the Bipartisan Gun Control Framework, thank them for their support. If s/he has not yet supported the Bipartisan Gun Control Framework, urge them to add their name to the bill. We have provided a sample script, however feel free to speak from your heart and on your own personal experience:
“Hi, my name is [your name]. I’m calling today to urge [your Senator/Representative] to support the Bipartisan Gun Violence Prevention Framework. As a Jew and member of the Jewish Center for Justice community, we are taught that ‘anyone who saves one life it is as if they have saved an entire world.’ I believe that this legislation is an important step in doing just that. This framework will prevent horrific school shootings; limit individuals from accessing firearms who pose a threat to themselves, their romantic partners, and others; and bolster school safety pluuss mental health resources. This bill represents a first step in preventing further atrocities that have defined our nation, and it needs your support. Thank you.”
Only the first step
Although this framework would be a landmark piece of legislation for the movement to prevent gun violence, it is imperative that we remain steadfast in our efforts because there is much more work left to be done. JCJ also calls on Congress to put these measures in place:
- Universal background checks
- Mandatory waiting period for gun sales
- Better regulation of ammunition, including a national ban on high-capacity magazines
- A national assault weapons ban, or raising the age to purchase an assault weapon to 21
- Mandatory safe storage requirements
- National red flag laws and database
While the Bipartisan Framework will save lives, the magnitude of the gun violence epidemic must be matched with these policies.
Learn more about JCJ’s Gun Violence Prevention efforts here.
JCJ Summer Legislative Fellows Ian Caplan and August Hochman contributed to this action alert.