The Jewish Center For Justice calls upon the U.S. Senate to pass the Farm Workforce Modernization Act of 2021 (H.R. 1603), the Access To Counsel Act of 2021 (H.R. 1573), and the National Origin-Based Antidiscrimnation For Nonimmigrants Act (H.R. 1333), all of which have passed in the House of Representatives.
The Jewish Center for Justice is mobilizing Jewish communities and immigration reform groups as well as people of faith in support of three pieces of legislation that will defend and advance the rights of immigrants hoping to enter the United States, as well as those already living and working here. As descendants of an immigrant tradition, we understand the difficulty and adversity that makes up the immigrant experience. We believe it is our responsibility to advocate on behalf of immigrants, ensure they are treated fairly under the law, and defend them from prejudice and xenophobia.
The Farm Workforce Modernization Act of 2021 (H.R 1603) would:
- Establish a certified agricultural worker (CAW) status for individuals who have performed at least 1,035 hours of agricultural labor during the two-year period prior to March 8, 2021.
- Allow the spouse and children of any noncitizen who has been granted CAW status to apply for a legal dependent status.
- Create a pathway for undocumented immigrants in the agricultural sector to achieve a legal status and an opportunity to gain citizenship.
- Expand the current H-2A visa program to increase protection for farmworkers and prevent abuse.
The Access To Counsel Act of 2021 (H.R 1573) would:
- Affirm and protect the rights of documented immigrants subject to inspection at borders and port-of-entries by allowing consultation with any legal counsel, advocate, or relative at any point during the inspection process.
- Allow the legal counsel, advocate, or relative to speak on behalf of the detained individual and allow them to provide any documents to the immigrant officer leading the inspection as needed.
- Ensure documented immigrants are not cut off from the world while subject to inspection and detained.
The National Origin-Based Antidiscrimination For Nonimmigrants Act (H.R 1333) would:
- Removes the ability of the President to suspend or restrict the immigration of noncitizens from specific countries into the United States.
- Prohibit religious discrimination when making immigrant-related decisions.
- Allow the President to suspend immigration only if both The Department of The State and The Department of Homeland Security consults Congress prior to issuing the restrictions.
- Allow individuals who have unlawfully been harmed by imposed restrictions to sue in federal court.
- The Access To Counsel Act of 2021 (H.R 1573)
- The National Origin-Based Antidiscrimination For Nonimmigrants Act (H.R 1333)
- The Farm Workforce Modernization Act of 2021 (H.R 1603)
Sample Call Scripts:
Hello my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME] to support The Farm Workforce Modernization Act of 2021, also called the H.R. 1603. The nation’s undocumented farmworkers are invaluable to our economy and must be recognized for the sacrifices they have made instead of forced to live in the shadows due to the threat of deportation. This piece of legislation would provide a pathway for noncitizens to achieve a legal immigrant status and even earn citizenship. We urge you to support and advocate for this bill. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Hello my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME] to support The Access To Counsel Act of 2021, also called H.R. 1573. As descendants of an immigrant tradition, we as Jews firmly believe that immigrants should be treated as humans and not criminals cut off from the outside world when detained at our borders. H.R. 1573 would allow noncitizens to have the opportunity to consult with counsel or other related parties of their choosing who may speak on their behalf. I’m calling for the Senator to reform our nation’s broken immigration system in a manner that safeguards the dignity of immigrants attempting to enter the United States. We urge you to support this bill. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Hello my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME] to support The National Origin-Based Antidiscrimination For Nonimmigrants Act, also called H.R. 1333. We must ensure that a restriction such as the “Muslim Ban” that was pushed for by the Trump Administration is never allowed to be instituted in the future. As a nation we must condemn all forms of religious discrimination and maintain the promise of the First Amendment. We urge you to support and advocate for this bill. Thank you for your time and consideration.
This action alert was compiled by JCJ High School Fellow Ben Weiner. Ben is an incoming junior at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio.